Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Laughter really is the best medicine


Absolutely! It is such a natural expression and a huge emotional release. When you are heavy hearted there is a stagnancy created that impedes the flow of energy. Funny things happen so spontaneously that in one instant laughter can occur and give rise to a lightness and relaxation within. It has the power to break the habitual stress or negative patterns of the mind. Once I went to an Ayurvedic clinic in India when I was very ill and down about it. I went in for my first consultation with the doctor who was loud, boisterous and looked like a car salesman. He was completely incomprehensible because his Indian accent was so thick, but he insisted on speaking English, ignoring the translator named Guru who was sitting by his side. He kept referring to my condition as Rheumatoidikal Artriti and it sounded so absurd that the more he said it I felt this laughter bubbling up inside of me. I tried to disguise it by coughing but eventually it just came pouring out and once I started I couldn't stop. Guru and the doctor looked at each other and then suddenly the laughter became contagious and we were all doubled over in hysterics. Once we all calmed down I tried to apologize but he interrupted me and said "Laughter makes the life longer so we are off to a good start"

No comments:

Post a Comment